Device Software Update Management – Why Manage Device Software Updates?
In enterprises with fragmented platforms and firmware versions, mobile device deployment and support becomes a time-consuming and tedious task. Proprietary enterprise apps and websites behave inconsistently on different firmware versions, so features require testing and troubleshooting on a widening array of device platforms.
Controlling the rollout of software updates allows IT admins to:
- Homogenize the firmware versions and capabilities of deployed device models.
- Carry out interoperability or compatibility testing with in-house or proprietary servers, apps, and endpoint settings.
- Ensure that known issues are patched before deployment of major firmware version updates.
- Perform field tests of new firmware and software on a subset of devices before mass deployment.
- Force the use of firmware versions that have been validated to meet industry certification or regulation requirements.